E-Mail Subscriptions to the Blog

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Turnovers, disputed goal lead to 5-4 loss to Admirals

The Milwaukee Admirals stole two points from the Chicago Wolves, winning 5-4 in the Allstate Arena Saturday night. The Wolves came back from a two goal deficit to tie the game in the second period, but a disallowed goal and giveaways by the Wolves put the Admirals on top for the win.

Admiral Brandon Segal had a two goal game, while the Admirals had their fifth game in a row to earn points. After losing Alex Henry to a knee injury against the Peoria Rivermen on Friday, there was another knee injury as Admiral Kevin Klein was helped off the ice after a hit by Andre Deveaux.

The Admirals drew blood in the first period when Jason Guerriero put a puck past Fred Brathwaite at 12.18. Durno had the puck picked off by Wolves Jason Krog, but the puck was mishandled at the center and Klein came up with it, dishing it to Guerriero off the circle who put it through Brathwaite’s five-hole.

The Wolves responded off of the first line when Krog, on a power play and crossing into the Admirals zone, fired over the glove of Pekka Rinne to tie the game 1-1. The Admirals replied in the last minute of the first period on their own power play, moving the puck around the outside, it was fed to Sheldon Brookbank who powered a shot past Fred Brathwaite.

In the second period, Milwaukee scored in the first minute when Wolves Niko Dimitrakos tried to bring the puck through two Admirals just outside the crease, the puck squirted lose to Brandon Segal who blasted it home. Nine seconds later the Wolves replied, when Milwaukee, off of the face-off, bungled a pass in their defensive zone. Darren Haydar picked it up and one-timed it past Rinne to light the lamp. An other Wolves power play goal at 6.21, Dimitrakos stole the puck and passed it to Mark Popovic for a shot from the circle past Rinne.

In the final frame, Segal penetrated the Wolves zone to paste one onto the top of the net for a 4-3 lead. Following that, Krog picked a rebound out of the air with his glove in the crease. Dropping the puck he stroked the puck into the open goal, behind Rinne. However, Rinne protested that the puck had been palmed into the net, a violation of the rules, and the official, Conrad Hache, agreed, disallowing the goal. At 15.17 the Admirals earned a 5-4 lead off a Pat Leahy steal in the Wolves defensive zone. Brathwaite rebounded the shot to Kim Staal who earned the goal by putting it into the open net. It was one of just three Admiral shots on goal in the final frame. In the final minute, the Wolves pulled Brathwaite for an advantage and scored off of stolen puck when Nathan Oystrick swatted the puck in the air into the back of the net.

Rinne received the win, stopping 30 shots on goal. Brathwaite received the loss with 19 saves. The Wolves next play is in Iowa on Friday night against the Stars.

In Fort Wayne, the IceHogs lost another game to the Komets on Saturday night. They play the Flint Generals Sunday afternoon.

No comments: